Dry brushing!!! Who has heard of this little beauty secret? Here at The Soap Market we swear by it! Okay, a couple of us do, including me, I guess I can't speak for the rest but it really is great. Also, it only takes 5 minutes!!
Dry brushing is an Ayurvedic technique that has been used in India for thousands of years. This dry massage is traditionally used with raw silk gloves but using a natural bristled brush is also a really beneficial way of doing it as well. You're probably wondering why you would ever want to take a dry, bristled brush to your dry skin but once you start doing it you will see why. There are so many benefits!
First, you are going to want to get a natural bristled brush. The reason it should be natural is because the bristles are a little bit softer so it won't be so harsh on the skin. Also, just a heads up, when you first start doing this your skin might be a little bit sensitive so start by brushing soft and then eventually you can press more firm. I'm probably not making this sound very appealing but once you start you will see it isn't bad at all and it actually feels nice. It also doesn't hurt that most people can see and feel the benefits after just one time. Okay, okay, I'll tell you what to do now.
- Start by standing in a shower or bath tub, not with the water on. You will want to do this because you are going to be brushing your skin and going to want to rinse your body afterwards. It is also best to do this in the morning, but we all aren't morning people so the evening will also work.
- You are going to want to start brushing the soles of the feet and moving up the body. When you are brushing be sure to be brushing in long, circular movements up towards the heart.
- Always brush to the center of the body.
- Using a long handled brush is also nice because then you will be able to reach your back.
- Now once you're done, turn the shower on and alternate the water from cool to hot. Then, you can shower as you would normally.
- When you are done showering, moisturize with a light oil. Try one of our body oils. They are light and absorb right into the skin.
Okay, so you are probably thinking alright, why would I take 5 minutes out of my day to do this when I can just use an exfoliator in the shower. There are so many great things about doing this besides making the skin soft. Being that the skin is our largest organ we need to be sure to be taking care of it, inside and out.
- When we do this, we are shedding the outer layer of dead skin cells. This will also help keep the pores clear.
- Brushing off this outer layer of dead skin helps rid the skin of toxins and also helps keep those toxins out.
- The skin will be able to absorb oxygen more easily
- You will be stimulating the sweat and oil glands which will help moisturize the skin naturally.
- It increases blood circulation.
- When you increase blood circulation you are also helping distribute fat deposits more evenly which helps prevent cellulite and also reduce it!!
- More importantly, you will be stimulating the lymphatic system. This will help boost your immune system. I think we could all use a little immune boost this time of year!
- Your skin texture will improve. Who says no to soft, supple skin?
- You will see an increase of muscle tone.
Now, I know it sounds like a process but really once you try it you will see it is not at all and you will see and feel the benefits right away!
If you are in the area stop in the shop and pick up a brush and some oil. Other wise, if you already have a brush, treat yourself to some oil and see how amazing it is! We still have our special going on too, spend $40 and get free shipping. Enter "freeshipping".
We love hearing feedback! Let us know your experiences with dry brushing!